The first is a matter of consistently providing excellent service that people appreciate and talk about.
The second one may seem a bit more challenging. So how do you find new customers?
Go to where the people are. You should not rely on your salesmanship, but instead focus on increasing the quantity of people that you engage with on a regular basis. People are around you all the time, and within that group are your customers. Your goal is to find them, talk to them, befriend them and nurture them so that they become the first group: happy and loyal customers.
First, let’s begin with where to find new customers:
- Join an association/club/organization
- Take a community-sponsored class or course
- Present a workshop or be a speaker
- Get a hobby and join others with the same interests
- Get involved with a charity or cause
- Go to a networking event
- Go onto social media networks, engage and find old/new friends
- Go to family parties, reunions, and social events
- Promote and sponsor a community activity/event of your own
- Start a book, breakfast, coffee, coupon, or arts & crafts club
- Network with other businesses and business people in your community
- Become a connector/referrer for others, and become a go-to person
- Start a referral rewards program with existing clients
- Use local advertising and marketing
Second, once you find them here’s what you need to do:
- Be curious and learn to enjoy meeting people
- Ask questions and improve your listening skills
- Be positive and inviting
- Be professional and authentic
- Don’t be a salesman, but be friendly and social
- Become a “let’s have coffee” person and meet face to face with people
- Be a social and party person
- Have all the possible ways to contact you on your business card
- Start using and writing notes on your business card to hand to people you meet
- Make yourself memorable, but not over the top. Make your first impression a lasting one
- Convey passion in what you do
It’s all about the numbers. Seek quantity. Quality customers will only come if meet enough people. Start with a new goal of meeting new people and engaging them every day.
Let us know how these tips help you increase new customers. What tips can you share for finding new customers for your business? Would love to read your ideas in the comments below!