Imagine a coin that helps you decide how you will perceive your world. One side represents negative self-talk and the other side represents positive self-talk. Most people go through their day flipping this coin and allowing the flip of the coin to dictate their self-talk. Successful people flip the same coin, but if they get the negative side they simply keep flipping it until they see the positive side.
The characteristics of positive self-talk are a can do attitude, attractiveness to others, the ability to see more possibilities and an empowering mind set. Here are some tips on how to get started.
- Commit to listening to your positive self-talk. Many of the obstacles we face in life and limits we put on our abilities have been placed there by us. Remember that flip of the coin; you have the choice between the two. Which will you choose? Self-talk is that internal GPS that will keep you on the right path and help you reach your destination.
- Recognize and replace the negative. Catch yourself in the act of negative talk and replace it with a positive pep talk. Acknowledge that you can work through this, learn from it and ask yourself how you can make the most of it.
- Practice makes perfect. It might feel strange at first to feed your mind with confidence boosters and little cheerleaders. Anything new feels strange at first, but the more you do it, the easier and habitual it will become. Positive self-talk is especially useful when you have a lot riding on something, such as a big presentation or an important networking event, and this type of internal coaching will help minimize your nerves.
- Create a mantra. Mantras are meant to be repeated over and over to put one in a meditative state. The purpose is to focus one’s mind and clear out anything else that might get in the way. Consider coming up with a mantra that can be your go-to phrase whenever you need an extra vote of confidence or when you catch yourself thinking negatively. Read more about the use of mantras in business here.
- Embrace your new power. Only you can control your self-talk; no one else can. There are and will continue to be people out there whose actions and words can make you second guess yourself. Don’t let them. Remember, you can only modify your own behavior, not the behavior of others.
Understand that your experiences are represented by that coin and that you will always have two sides to choose from. You have the choice. You have the power. With this great new power comes happiness and success.
How have you used positive self-talk to succeed? Please share your ideas below!
Free e-book “Business Owner’s Road Map to Success.” It has over 50 pages of techniques for everything a small business owner needs to master, from business planning and ethical selling to a success mindset. It’s all there and it’s free for you. To get it, just “Like” our Facebook Page here: http://on.fb.me/KsIN6P Pass it on!